Yeast is another home substance that can kill your pet, according to pet stories.
According to the catchy news release from the toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline, your kitchen may contain a pantry full of possible pet poisons.
Coffee beans, coffee grounds, teabags, alcohol, and salt, as well as yeast, which I've never seen on a bad-for-pets list, can make pets sick.
According to a news release from Veterinarians.org, pets ingesting human foods account for more than 20% of poison-related calls. The danger list includes yeast and raw bread.
The news release from Embrace Pet Insurance, which pays the veterinarian fees of pets who eat the wrong stuff, includes lilies, mushrooms, aspirin, ibuprofen, and rat poison.
Chocolate, grapes, raisins, and Xylitol are among items that can make pets sick or even kill them. Many pet owners are aware of these, despite the fact that the sugar-free sweetener xylitol is commonly referred to as birch sugar in sugar-free gum and other foods.
Poisoning symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, convulsions, and agitation.
Most people are unaware that March 20-26 was National Poison Prevention Week, which is why so many businesses and organizations have been issuing warnings. Every year, I get these lists, and yeast is a new one for me.
Because I don't bake and have never purchased yeast, Blaze, the Boston terrier that shares my home, is safe. Bakers, on the other hand, should be wary.
Yeast organisms are busy generating alcohol and loads of gas when incorporated into a dough, according to Pet Poison Hotline. The dough can expand in the stomach, obstructing the passage of the dough and gas. Alcohol poisoning could occur as a result of the alcohol produced.
If consumed, raw dough can expand inside an animal's digestive tract and create severe bloating, making it impossible for an animal to breathe, according to Veterinarians.org.
When it comes to alcoholic beverages, as little as a few ounces of alcohol can result in a pet's mortality in as little as 12-24 hours, according to the vet site, which also mentions lethargy and convulsions as symptoms.
Now let's return to the coffee beans and grounds. According to Pet Poison Helpline, both include caffeine, a stimulant that can induce tremors and a beating heart. Tea contains caffeine, and if a dog or cat swallows an entire teabag, the bag, string, and tag might cause digestive injury or blockage.
According to the helpline, pets should never be given salt.Excessive salt consumption can result in vomiting, tremors, and seizures.
Ingesting macadamia nuts can make it difficult for dogs to walk, as well as induce joint pain and pancreatitis.
Even a few raisins might cause renal harm in your pet, according to the experts at Pet Poison Helpline. Pets can die from renal failure if they are not treated quickly.
A pet can die from even a common human dose of aspirin or ibuprofen. The over-the-counter medications harm the gastrointestinal tract's lining and cause bleeding.
Rat poison is clear, the Embrace release adds, but most people don't consider it. Inform your veterinarian about the type of rat poison your pet has consumed. Some rat poisons come in brightly colored pellets that mimic jelly beans, making them appealing to small children.
When I lived in the city, I came home from work one day to find a woman dressed in a black uniform within my enclosed yard. She introduced herself as a representative of Pittsburgh Environmental Services and explained that she was distributing rat poison. Despite her assurances that the rat poison would not hurt pets, I asked her remove the packets and place them outside my yard. My 18-pound pug and 7-pound Siamese cat didn't want to be seen. It can kill a tiny pet if it can kill a rat.
Readers have complained that professional exterminators assured them that the rat poison they use is safe for their pets. That was a false allegation, according to the Pittsburgh Poison Center. Poisoning is more likely in small pets, and the danger rises with the amount of food consumed.
Lilies are poisonous to cats, so don't send them to anybody who have them.
According to Embrace, all parts of lilies, even the water they sit in, are deadly to cats. It only takes a few bites for their kidneys to shut down. Vomiting, drinking, and excessive urination are all common symptoms.
According to a veterinarian I know and trust, even trace amounts of lily pollen in the air can be fatal to cats.
Call your veterinarian right away if you fear your pet has been poisoned. There are various 24-hour hotlines to call because many veterinary emergencies occur at night and on weekends.
Calls involving dogs and people are answered by the Pittsburgh Poison Center at 800-222-1222. Although the program is free, it frequently directs callers to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435, where they can pay $75 for assistance.
A $75 fee is also charged by the Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680). Its website, www.petpoisonhelpline.com, contains a wealth of information.