Treatment for marijuana poisoning in pets: a veterinarian's perspective
Since marijuana's legalization in several jurisdictions, veterinarians at animal hospitals around the country are apparently treating an increasing number of dogs for marijuana poisoning — and the consequences can be rather frightening.
Dana Perino of Fox News recently had a fright with her four-month-old Vizsla dog, Percy, who was sent to the veterinarian after exhibiting signs such as trouble walking, wobbling while resting, and dilated pupils. Perino's veterinarian quickly recognized that Percy had consumed marijuana.
Dr. Marty Goldstein, a veterinarian, told "America's Newsroom" on Wednesday that these symptoms, as well as vomiting, shaking, urine incontinence, and agitation, are all unmistakable markers of marijuana toxicity.
They have more cannabinoid receptors in their brain than humans, he explained, so they're a lot more susceptible to the THC component of marijuana.Any way they can acquire it, it's potent.
If the dog were to get a hold of anything toxic, the vet suggested that pet parents try induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, but he advised consulting a veterinarian first to be better safe than sorry.
He explained, They will either pump the stomach, induce vomiting, give them a slurry of activated charcoal, or even enemas just to get it out of the system.In particular, intravenous fluids, which prevent dehydration while also flushing the poisons out.
Calls for pets consuming marijuana have increased 765 percent since 2019, according to the Animal Poison Control Center. From six years ago, calls to the Pet Poison Helpline increased by 450 percent.