The perils of Valentine's Day for pets
Tips for keeping your loved ones and pets safe this festive season.
Despite having fewer taste senses than humans, dogs will seek out a sweet food. Chocolate consumption is harmful to animals for several reasons. To begin with, chocolate includes theobromine (a cacao plant component) and caffeine. Unfortunately, both of these components are toxic to dogs. Hyperactivity, accelerated heart rate, tremors, convulsions, and even death can occur if a high amount is consumed. Chocolate also contains a significant quantity of fat. A quick high-fat meal can trigger pancreatitis, or acute inflammation of the pancreas. This produces vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and it can be fatal in rare situations. Save your pet from a tummy ache!
Many gums, sweets, and even some peanut butters include this sugar-free sweetener. If consumed by dogs, it can result in life-threatening hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), electrolyte problems, and possibly liver failure. Ice Breaker gums have an especially high concentration.
Wrappers for candies
Unfortunately, our pets do not always take the time to open the package and get to the sweet gift inside. Foil and plastic are easily eaten and can cause stomach distress or even blockage. The same is true when it comes to gift wrapping. Never allow your cat to play with gift ribbons, since this might result in ingestion and a potentially fatal "linear foreign body" obstruction.
Dogs and cats, like people, are susceptible to alcohol. If a considerable amount is consumed, it might cause gastrointestinal distress, mentation problems, and even coma. Please drink responsibly and keep an eye on your pets.
While some lily species may appear lovely in your home, they should be avoided. In cats, Lilium and Hemerocallis can lead to acute renal failure. Easter lily, Tiger lily, Stargazer lily, and several Daylilies are examples. All components of the plant are toxic, and only a minimal amount (even less than one leaf) is required to cause harm!
While these ideas may help set the tone for your romantic holiday, keep in mind that your dogs may not be as aware of fire safety as you are. Curios animals can easily be burned by open flames. Candles can also be knocked over by accident, causing harm to your home. Remember that stove top burners (especially electric ones) can inflict very painful toe burns if you're cooking for your date and have counter stalking cats!
Rocky Gorge Animal Hospital is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you and your pet. Please call them or your family veterinarian if you have worries that your pet has been exposed to Valentine's hazards. To learn more about the exact product contents and treatment recommendations based on your pet's weight, your health care team may recommend calling the Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661) or the ASPCA Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).