Some medications and foods can be fatal to your pet.
March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, and I'd want to warn all pet owners to be mindful of household chemicals that could harm their pets.
The bulk of calls to poison control centers are about over-the-counter drugs that are inadvertently consumed by pets. The majority of them are ordinary pharmaceuticals such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and other pain relievers that pet owners use but leave unattended within reach of their pets. The problem with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories is that their human dosages are so high that they can cause serious liver and kidney damage, and pets may not have the same enzymes to properly break them down. One Tylenol tablet is enough to kill a cat!! It's critical to keep your medications secure and out of reach of curious dogs and cats.
Other regularly taken medications, such as ADHD pills or blood pressure meds, might produce serious cardiac symptoms that must be neutralized either by vomiting or by taking prescriptions to counteract the effects.
There were nearly 25,000 incidents last year of pets consuming hazardous foods such as the sweetener Xylitol, grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic. Most sugar-free confectionery and bubble gum include xylitol, which is toxic to pets with acute liver failure. Grapes and raisins are very harmful to the kidneys and, depending on the amount consumed, can lead to renal failure. Chocolate gifts are popular for occasions such as Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Easter, and this leads to accidental chocolate poisoning. The more bitter the chocolate, the more deadly it is.
Corn cobs are another food hazard since they do not digest or break down in the gut, requiring emergency surgery to remove large chunks of corn cobs from the intestines.
The majority of pet owners are unaware that dogs and cats are lactose intolerant. Although cow's milk is not poisonous in and of itself, it is not in their best interests to consume it. Furthermore, most dairy items, such as ice cream and yogurt, are high in unhealthy sugars and fats, which can lead to pancreatitis in your pets. Ethanol can trigger intoxication symptoms such as stumbling and collapsing, so don't leave your wine glass or beer unattended! The severity of the symptoms is proportional to the amount of food consumed.
Macadamian nuts are another food to avoid. Macadamia nut poisoning has the same symptoms of pancreatitis: vomiting, anorexia, and weakness. We do, however, detect tremors and symptoms of the central nervous system. Although the poison is unknown, keep your dogs away from these nuts.
There are various ways to keep your foods and prescriptions secure, but if your pet is mischievous and ingests some of them, contact your local veterinarian right once. In most cases, inducing vomiting is sufficient, but activated charcoal, intravenous fluids, and other drugs may be required in other cases.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist you with any animal poisoning emergency. Call 888-426-4435 if you believe your pet has swallowed something possibly dangerous. It's possible that a consultation fee will be charged.