According to a new study, veterinarians are seeing an increase in the number of pets sickened by marijuana edibles.
As marijuana legalization spreads, vets are detecting an increase in cases where pets ingest marijuana edibles from their owners and develop marijuana toxicity.
According to a new study, as marijuana legalization spreads, vets are detecting an increase in pets getting into their owners' marijuana edibles and developing marijuana toxicity.
Veterinarians found a considerable increase in the number of dogs suffering from cannabis poisoning in a study published Wednesday in the journal PLOS ONE.
Researchers examined more than 200 veterinarians in the United States and Canada and discovered 283 cases of cannabis toxicity caused by pets ingesting marijuana treats by accident. Dogs are the most likely pets to develop cannabis toxicosis, followed by cats, iguanas, ferrets, horses, and cockatoos, according to the study.
The study discovered 16 cases of animals who died after taking marijuana. The presence of other poisons or underlying medical disorders that could have contributed to the mortality was not investigated by vets.
Dr. Ahna Brutlag, director of veterinary services and senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, told NBC News that because this looks and smells like food, dogs, being the opportunists that they are, will want to eat it. They also don't eat just one; they consume as much as they can in one session. Because edibles contain so much more THC than flower, they receive a massive dose all at once.
Edibles and dry cannabis were found to be the most common marijuana items that resulted in pet health crises, according to the study.
Marijuana users should keep their goods out of reach of their dogs and in a secure location. Marijuana should not be smoked near animals because a few inhales can cause marijuana poisoning in some species.
Impaired coordination, drooling, vomiting, lethargy, depression, seizures, and coma are among symptoms of marijuana toxicity.
It's crucial to keep in mind that our pets are not miniature people. They're extremely distinct species with very different metabolisms, and as a result, consuming marijuana can have catastrophic consequences for them Dr. Dana Varble, the North American Veterinary Community's chief veterinary officer, said CNN. The consequences on a little animal will be far more powerful than what you or I might encounter.
If you suspect your pet has consumed or inhaled marijuana and/or is exhibiting signs of marijuana poisoning, take them to the veterinarian for treatment.
It can take minutes to hours for your pet to develop signs of marijuana toxicity, depending on the amount taken, the style of intake, and the strain. THC concentrations from heavier strains might produce agitation and hyperactivity.
It's crucial to be honest with your veterinarian about what your pet ate so that they can rule out other ailments that look like marijuana toxicity. In many situations, pets recover completely from marijuana toxicity with no difficulties or adverse effects if they are closely monitored.
It is never a good idea for pet owners to encourage their pets to consume marijuana. Pets are unable to comprehend the effects of marijuana, which can result in hazardous and unpredictable behavior that is, at the very least, distressing to animals.