How to train a dog not to bite?
How to train a dog not to bite? (Expert Guide)
Biting is common in all breeds of dogs. According to research conducted by The Centers for Disease Control, 6 million people all around the world become victims of dog bites. Other statistics shared by the Centers for Disease Control state that there were 468 deaths due to dog bites reported between 2011 to 2021 in the United States.
According to Wikipedia, around 30 to 40 deaths are reported every day in government hospitals all around the world. These numbers of statistics may seem too high but you can train your dog not to bite in several ways and save yourself and your dog by contributing to these statistics.
WHY DO DOGS BITE?
Dogs usually do not bite any person but when they do it is because of one of the following reasons.
- They feel Fear
- They want Protection or Safety
- They are Sick
- They want Privacy
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DOG NOT TO BITE?
Now let's talk about all the possible ways by which you can train your train not to bite. Training involves building a dog's confidence and Socialization of your dog. Below we have summed up all the possibilities by which you can prevent dog bites.
1. React Harshly to bites
Make a loud noise or high-yelp when your dog or puppy bites you. Give it a firm and confident command. Say No loud whenever they nibble you. Try it every time your dog bites you until you notice that your dog is not as much biting as in the past and there is an improvement.
- Make a loud noise.
- You can use words like No, OW, STOP, and you can also call their name.
- Do not show too much anger.
- Do not beat your dog or punish it in any way.
- Avoid flapping your arm or hand.
- As soon as they bite, show signs of pain by crying or limping.
- Do this every time your dog tries to bite or nibble at you.
2. Use Teething Toys
After reacting harshly to a Bite by your dog, make sure to satisfy and calm your dog because it was unintentional. Many dogs get upset and even skip meals as it can be heartbreaking. But you can prevent this by giving them anything that they can bite. This will give them an idea that there are specific things that can be bitten. You can do either of these following steps when your bites you.
- Give them Teething Toys to bite on.
- Play fetch with them. Throw some sticks or toys away and let you fetch them with their mouth. This will satisfy their instinct to bite.
- Some trainers also suggest to play tug of war with your dog. Teach Your dog how to play the game and where to bite. If your dog bites you, end the game at the exact time. Your dog will eventually respect the rule that the game ends when it bites you.
- Keep an eye on your dog so that they do not engulf any toys.
- Ask any veterinarian about which toy is safe to use.
3. Use any Taste deterrents
Taste deterrents are sprays that have a very strong smell and a very sour taste. Follow the steps below
- Consult a veterinarian about which taste deterrents you can use because some of them can be toxic to your dog.
- Identify the body parts where your dog likes to bite more often.
- Spray taste deterrents on those parts of your body. It can be your hand.
- Go near your dog and slowly bring your hand toward your dog.
- Allow it to smell your hand and see its response.
- Use the spray on your body or clothes
- Use it more often and eventually your dog will lose its interest in biting you.
Introduce your dog or puppy to new dogs in your area. Take him to any dog park or dog show. Dogs love to play with each other and it often involves running, punching, wrestling, and biting. Let the dogs bite each other because when one dog will bite the other dog, the other dog will scream for sure and will move away from your dog. Dogs do not want their playing partner to leave them. They will understand their mistake that resulted in their friend leaving the game. You can use the following methods to help socialize your dog.
- Take your dog to any friend's or relative's house
- Take your dog to any boarding center while going to work.
- Take your dog to the park to see other fellas.
- Take your dog to any dog show.
- You can even take your dog to any dog training center.
The purpose of doing this is to socialize your dog. This is a very easy method to get rid of the biting habit of your dog. Just leave your dog playing with any other dog and your problem will be solved automatically without any worries and hard work.
5. Do not give attention/ move away when they bite.
Dogs love attention and are always to be around playing with you. Taking away your attention from them will give them the idea that they have done something wrong and they should not do it again. Here is how you can do this.
- Start Playing with your dog.
- Wait for them to bite you.
- As soon as they do, give them a harsh apply.
- Immediately after that move away and turn your head for at least 40 seconds.
- Repeat it again and again until your dog realizes that this is a serious mistake and they should not do this to have your attention back.
6. Encourage Reward Good Behavior
- Whenever your dog follows your order, make sure to cuddle them as a reward.
- Say words like Good Boy or Yes or even call their name with happiness.
- If they refrain from biting when you stop them harshly, immediately cuddle them and give them some treats.
- This will let them know that if they do not bite, they will get treated.
7. End playtime with your dog.
One of the most important things that you can do to end dog biting is end playtime. Here is how you can do it
- Play with your dog.
- As soon as they bite, move away from them.
- Start using your phone or watch TV.
- Your dog will come to you but do not give it any attention for at least 1 minute.
- After that play with your dog.
- Repeat it every time your dog tries to bite you.
- Eventually, your dog will understand your behavior and its mistakes and it will never bite you again.
8. Spay or Neuter your dog.
According to veterinarians, spayed and neutered pets show less aggression and calm behavior as compared to those who are not spayed or neutered. The reason for that is because of the altered hormonal balance which will calm the temper of your dog.
9. One Trick at Once
Do not use all these tricks all at once. This will only confuse your dog. Dogs are good learners but they will not be able to cop up with all these instruments. One practice at a time is enough for them. If you get desired results from one trick only then you can move on to the next.
10. Stay Consistent
Consistency is the key while training. Stick to the training until you get the desired results. Some dogs are quick learners and pick up things very fast but some dogs take time. Stay Consistent, invest your time and your dog will not bite eventually.
Dogs are very smart creatures and training them not to be can be time-consuming and difficult but it's not impossible. Interacting with your dog on training it not to bite will also build your relationship with your dog as you will be giving time to your dog too much.
You can follow any of the above-mentioned tips and tricks to get the desired results. Soon you will see that your dog is no longer interested in biting. In the next guide, we will discuss how to train a service dog. See you soon. Good luck and start your training right now.